Here is the detail of a disease “Ankylosing Spondylitis”,whats is this disease,How it is caused,What are the symptoms of Ankylosing spondylitis,How it is diagnosed and whats is its Treatment?
It is a type of Arthritis which causes the Long lasting Inflammation of the Joints of Spine.
It is a systemic rheumatic disease and one of Spondyloarthropathies.
It causes the Complete Fusion of Spine leading to a condition called “Bamboo Spine”.
Age:Mostly in yound aged between 18-30 Years.
Gender:Men are more affected then Female.
Cause of Ankylosing spondylitis is Unknown but it invloves Genetic and Enviromental Factors.Its underlying mechanism is Auto-immune or auto-inflammatory.
People affected by this disease have
- HLA-B27 antigen
- Tumor necrosis factor
- Interleukin-1 (IL-1)
Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis:
- Mild to Severe Back pain
- Chronic Dull Buttock Pain
- Pain is Severe at Rest
- Pain decreases by Activity
- Loss of Spinal Mobility
- Limitation of Anterior and Lateral Flexion of Lumbar spine
- Limitation of Lumbar extension
- Weight loss
- Decreased motion in Neck and Low back
- Chest Expansion
- Iridocyclitis (inflammation of the white of the eye )
- Eye Pain
- Apical lung fibrosis
- Ectasia of the sacral nerve root sheaths
- Onycholysis (Lifting of the Nails)
- NSAIDS (Ibuprofen,Naproxen)
- Disease-modifying anti rheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
- Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha (TNFα) blockers
- Anti-interleukin-6 inhibitors
- Interleukin-17A inhibitor
- Low intensity Aerobic Exercise
- Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF)
- Exercise Program (Either Home plan or Supervised)
- Group Exercise
- Joint Replacement
- Surgical Correction of joints